Recipe – Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
This is a recipe that my mom got at some point down the line and something that she made when I was growing up. It’s best served with a cut of beef–we always had it with flank steak or (last night’s pairing) filet mignon with a glass of red wine.
- 1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Shortening (you can use butter or olive oil, I stick to tradition though!)
- 1 cup Minute Rice, uncooked (this may need tweaking, I thought it could have used more rice last night, but probably no more than 1 1/4 cups)
- 10 ounces Chopped Broccoli, frozen
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 jar (8 ounces) Cheese Whiz
- Saute the onion and celery in the shortening.
- Cook rice per box directions (it should be a 1:1 of water to rice).
- Steam broccoli.
- Mix everything together (I just folded all the ingredients together in the skillet I sauteed in and tossed it in the oven–make sure your skillet is oven safe!).
- Bake at 375 20-30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
From the Kitchen of Linda Blake